Thursday, January 23, 2014

Day 23: Sea Bug Stir-Fry!

When you get right down to it, shrimp are, essentially, sea bugs. Delicious, nutritious sea bugs, to be sure, but insects all the same. I wanted to start getting more sea fare in our life, so I was absolutely giddy when I found these amazing fresh wild shrimp and a mix of fresh scallops at the grocery. I've never seen orange scallops before...so I thought I'd give them a try. And what better way to do that, than with a simple stir-fry?

Shrimp & Scallops Stir-Fry


I decided to keep the ingredients pretty simple:

* Fresh shrimp (tailed and de-veined)

* Fresh scallops

* Zucchini, sliced

* Yellow Squash, sliced

* Mushrooms (I use a fresh gourmet blend)

* Your favorite stir-fry sauce

Yes, the package says Lettuce Wrap sauce, but it was the lowest in sodium of the bunch and has a really nice savory with a hint of sweetness to it.

After de-veining the shrimp, rinse all of the seafood and then pat it dry with paper towels before plunking it into a pan with a little olive oil or melted butter. I say "a little" because the seafood is going to give off its own water, so you won't need much.  Cook through and then drain and set aside.

Be really careful not to over cook. Tough shrimps and scallops are enough to ruin anyone's day.

Once the pan is vacated by the bugs, you just toss in the 'shrooms and other veggies and let them cook down.

I discovered a new setting on Marvin the Mandoline. It made me deliriously happy for some reason.

I was using what I had on hand for this, so you can switch out whatever veggies you like best in your stir-fry. The options are pretty endless. I *wanted* to put some baby bok choy in there too, but, alas, the grocery store didn't have any. Woe.

When it's all cooked through, and the veggies are soft and fragrant, then you add the shrimp and scallops back into the pan.

Cover it all with the sauce of your choosing and let it simmer for a few minutes. You clearly don't want it to go for too long because again, you don't want to over cook your sea bugs.

Alternately, you could just put the sauce on the veggies, get it warmed up and then add the shrimp and scallops back in there. You do you.
Pair it up with some yummy rice medley and dinner is, as they say, served.

Surprisingly delicious, and pretty good for you too.

Enjoy!

~Snarkstress

No comments:

Post a Comment